Tonya shares some good advice in the article below, I’m only quoting part of it, so definitely check out the whole thing. But, I do recognize myself in this lately, and I do recognize that allowing myself to get disconnected has not been good for me at all.
It’s easy to get so caught up in the tasks of our lives that we don’t even realize how separated from our true selves and desired life we’ve become. That’s why listening to your anxiety helps. When you’re anxious, stressed, and unsettled, take action to reconnect with what’s important.
Begin by determining what’s most important to you. What are your values? What relationships are a key part of your life? What do you want more of? Then, schedule a few short breaks every day to participate in your own wellbeing and reconnect with what brings peace. Choose from the list below, or create your own ways to reconnect to your core:
- Step into nature, and appreciate the beauty
- Send quick, meaningful text messages periodically to someone you care about
- Start or change an exercise routine to do what makes you feel good without being a burden
- Be mindful in your moments (savor your food rather than gulping it on the run or while watching TV, for example)
- When you’re with a loved one, be fully engaged by putting away your phone, laptop, and other distractions
What would be on your list?