“1. In 2007, 1 in 2 children in India, both boys and girls, were victims of sexual abuse.
2. Almost 35% of all children in Africa are sexually abused or raped.
3. A child is raped about every three minutes in South Africa.
4. In the United States, a child is raped about every two minutes.
5. Every eight minutes in the U.S., child protective services responds to a report of sexual abuse.
6. 500,000 babies will be born this year in the U.S. who will be sexually abused before they turn 18.
7. In this country, 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men were sexually abused or raped when they were a child. That’s over 40 million survivors.
And please note: In countries such as Mexico, Columbia, Uruguay, and Pakistan (among many others) where marriage to children 12 and 14 years old is “legal,” it’s still child sexual abuse, even if the marriage is considered sanctioned by the government. “
These are stunning facts. Go read the whole thing to learn more about these facts, and what sort of impact these numbers are having.